Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pikeman's Lament  (Read 297 times)

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
Pikeman's Lament
« on: January 07, 2017, 08:22:34 AM »

nickaieta

• View Profile
Re: Pikeman's Lament
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »
Agreed - the 30 Years' War was not a happy time for Europe and an interesting comparison for those of us who play the WWII games!

JenkkiMike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:37:27 AM »
This looks like a nice rule set to try out my new Spanish army. Does anybody else have 15mm pike and shot era stuff?

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
My Swiss/Late Medieval would be passable into the mid 16c. I have some formed arquebusiers that could allow me to fake proper pike and shot if you do not look too closely at the garb, the armor, or the weapons.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
Pikeman's Lament
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 09:05:58 PM »
Just got the book. Rules are fairly simple (60pgs). I like it alot. It has a nice campaign system with traits to be gained by your officer. Standard games are 24pts = 50ish models on a 4x3 table. Basing is very flexible with lots of options. Multiplayer seems like it would be very fun with everyone leading their own companies.

Everyone uses the same army list. 3-10 units, officer is always a part of one unit. Units are 6 or 12 models, max of one artillery.
Options are:
Cav
Gallopers(Heavy Cavalry)(4pts/6) which can upgrade to elite/heavy armor(+2), Aggressive(0), or downgraded to raw(-1)
Trotters(Light cavalry) (4pts/6) which can upgrade to elite(+2), or downgraded to raw(-1)
Dragoons(4pts/6) can upgrade to vets(+2)

Foot
Forlorn Hope(elite musketeers) (6pts/6) Can be vets (+2) or Aggressive(0)
Pike(4pts/12) which can upgrade to vets(+2), or downgraded to raw(-1)
Shot(4pts/12) which can upgrade to vets(+2), or downgraded to raw(-1)
Commanded Shot(skirmish infantry) (2pts/6) can be vets (+2)
Clubmen(crap militia) (1pt/12)
Clansmen(3pts/12)
Regimental Gun(1x 3lbr gun+6 crew, 4pts) Field gun; 5+lbr gun (+2)
Agitator/Priest/Hero 1pt gives a unit +1 morale

As far as rules go orders are given to units which are 2d6 and must roll the number or greater needed for a given order(usually between 5+ and 7+ depending on the unit and the order). Officers may duel eachother if close enough 1/game/player.
Basic orders are: Move(6"-12" depending on type) 3" coherency from a central model, 1" ZoC for allies, 3" for enemies.
Shoot (18" muskets, 12" carbines for dragoons and commanded shot, 6" Pistols for trotters and clubmen) -1 to hit pas 12". Number of dice rolled is 12/unit if above half strength, or 6 if below half. Units have a shoot score which tells you what you need to hit. Targets have a stamina which tells you how many hits needed to get a casualty.
Attack: Charge, normal move to contact. Number of dice rolled is 12/unit if above half strength, or 6 if below half. Units have an attack(or defend if they are defending) score which tells you what you need to hit. Targets have a stamina which tells you how many hits needed to get a casualty.
Special units can Skirmish or Caracole to do both a half move and a shoot. (caracole also lets you charge in too if the target fails morale).
If you fail an activation, or have activated everyone, the activation phase ends. double one and double six trigger interesting effects.

Morale is 4+ or 5+ for most units on 2d6. Units test when they take casualties/attempt to rally/are only unit left/Officer dies, flees or refuses a challenge/half or more of your army's points worth of units are lost. Morale tests are -1/team lost, -1 if army beflow half, +1 if officers unit within 12". If you fail and the net result of the die roll isn't negative(2d6-4 or whatever=0+) your unit retreats a half move and becomes wavering. If the result of the morale test is negative(2d6-4 or whatever=-1 or less) unit is destroyed. Wavering units need to rally before they can do much an only hit on 6s unit then.

Missions:
There are 10 missions. You can also either secretly or openly announce up to 3 special objectives for your officer too which reward VPs(1-3 Honor) if completed. Most honor wins game
Mission1: GA Pa! Basically free for all or encounter. +5 Honor to the player who killed most units, +3 to each if tied.
Mission 2: Patrol: deploy in adjacent quarters, Both sides must move off opposite quarter of starting position +5 honor to player with more points that got off the table, +3 if tied
Mission 3: Kings Warchest: 3 Warchests in play, +2 Honor per Chest that you can get off your side of table.
Mission 4: River Crossing: Both sides try and cross the river +5 Honor to the player who has most points of units across river, +3 to each if tied.
Mission 5: Morning assault: Defender has only part of their force defending entrenchments(rest enters as reserves), +5 Honor to the player who has most points of units in entrenchments, +3 to each if tied.
Mission 6 Steak on the Hoof: Very similar to Kings Warchest, but deployment is different, and its cows instead of gold.
Mission 7: Beating up quarters: Night attack, attacker is trying to burn defenders encampment
Mission 8:storm Redoubt: Small central defending force, attacker tryng to take it. rest of defenders forces deployed back behind it.
Mission 9 Foraging at village: Both sides trying to get forage at a central farm, There are defending villagers hositle to both sides(Clubmen)
Mission 10: Rescue, Attacker trying to rescue and recover a prisoner from the defender

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »
Sounds like fun.  Any recommendations on where to source the appropriate figures?
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 04:14:05 AM »
Warlord Games:
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/thirty-years-war-1618-1649

It looks like you can do most forces with one box of infantry and one box of cavalry.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 04:31:03 AM by winterwolf8601 »

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »
Warlord Games:
https://us-store.warlordgames.com/collections/thirty-years-war-1618-1649

It looks like you can do most forces with one box of infantry and one box of cavalry.

Well now I know what that sprue came from!  When I went to my first US Nationals for FoW (back when you had to qualify to go)  My ticket into Historicon came with a swag bag.  One of the things was a couple of sprues for 17th century figures.  Never did know what game they could be used for.  Apparently they were from Warlord.  I have a Command sprue from Pike and Shotte Thirty Years War   ;D
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.