Login  |  Register

Author Topic: British List Challenge  (Read 891 times)

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
Re: British List Challenge
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2017, 10:43:16 PM »
Mike, you know you can just use plain jane Shermans as kagaroos and a bit of sprue and a .50cal to make a removable conversion. My dad did it so he can swap Shermans and Sherman kangaroos.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:56:29 PM by winterwolf8601 »

nickaieta

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2017, 08:19:10 AM »
There are definitely some useful lists in the Road to Rome group, particularly if you're going for an infantry-based list.  I'm never a good source for suggestions because I think too much about what was "real" or "likely" rather than the game, but I have enjoyed using motorized infantry with the 3+ save as opposed to the 5+ and the Indian units. Supporting them with the right mix of tanks, 6 lbers, and armored cars for reconnaissance has been useful as well.  I do like all the ideas about sticky bombs and/or gammon bombs though…nothing like dug in veterans as I so often find out when trying to shoot Germans with Soviets.   ???

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2017, 01:04:44 PM »
Mike, you know you can just use plain jane Shermans as kagaroos and a bit of sprue and a .50cal to make a removable conversion. My dad did it so he can swap Shermans and Sherman kangaroos.

I could certainly try that sometime. I'm sure that you wouldn't approve  :), but I have a box of LVT-4s that have been calling to me for a while. I might include them in the project as well.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 07:51:18 PM »
The LVTs are fine. just a bit over-costed compared to the sherman kangaroos that's all.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 08:10:30 PM »
Whoa! I am being mentioned in the same breath as Phillip (and not just at the human males with pulses level)!

The best way to defeat the Red Banner is to attack it. Being on defense turns off the (annoying) point-stealing for me while leaving it on for you. Plus, it is usually configured for attack. The Shturmovye may be top of the shelf infantry, but sitting in foxholes getting shelled, they are little better than most late-LW German veterans. I can swap some for mediocre guns, but that hurts headcount, so is often a weak option. As long as you do not get careless and enter within charge range I mostly just sit and take it with only Fearless distinguishing me from a large PzGren platoon. If you have auto-attack mech or tank I have to defend, which leaves me very weak in many missions.

1515 is actually a very awkward points level for the Banner, as I recall. 1420 was pretty good because I got the core elements and just enough support to hit 4 useful platoons. Adding only 95 pts leaves me with tough choices. 6 useful platoons is hard to come by (Soviets so rarely get any of those nifty tiny platoons that do something well, like German infantry guns or Nebs - and the few they had mostly seem to have disappeared by the late-LW lists), so trying to find a way to spend it on the 4 can actually be tricky.