Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Intro to Bolt Action League  (Read 802 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
Intro to Bolt Action League
« on: December 16, 2017, 09:59:45 AM »
Starting in January I will be hosting an Intro to Bolt Action League.  I will have a demo set for those who want to try it before they think of investing in the game.  But if you want to dive in, it's a 500 point force limit with the goal of learning the basic game mechanics and list development.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Intro to Bolt Action League
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 10:38:22 AM »
Weekends in January look busy, but I hope to join you for Bolt Action. I'm curious to see how the game plays.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:08:28 PM »
Played a demo game today at Off the Wall games in Mass.  Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it plays.  I think you may find it will be fun to try.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »
That sounds promising. As much as I like AdG, I do miss the WW2 historical theme.

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 02:16:09 PM »
I watched a few demo games on Youtube, and it looks like fun. Picked up the rulebook today. Will be interested in playing a demo game.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
Are there any free army lists/list generators out there? I have ~30 soviet infantry assembled and primed and a couple of blisters for HQ and support on the way courtesy of the big guy in red. But I do not know how to organize the troops nor have any real idea how many points they come to.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 04:54:10 PM »
Yes, Gregg Siter has created an EasyArmy for Bolt Action: http://boltaction.easyarmy.com/index.aspx

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Ah! Interesting. I found that earlier but was locked out from the lists. Turns out creating a new profile lets me in.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:10:18 AM »
500 points is good for starting out, with 1000 being a standard point game (doesn't sound like alot but don't be fooled!)  Since Warlord sent me the Band of Brothers box to demo the game, I'll start by building off of those forces first.  So that gives me a choice of German Grenadiers, and American Airborne.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
Sounds good. I'll be playing British Commandos.

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
I decided to jump in as I am starting to get excited about the game. Picked up the box of American infantry and the Stuart they had at the Portal.

It's been a long time since I modeled in 28mm, and man I forgot how much I hate gluing arms and guns on separately. I need to pick up some faster curing glue.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 11:59:05 AM »
It's been a long time since I modeled in 28mm, and man I forgot how much I hate gluing arms and guns on separately. I need to pick up some faster curing glue.

Tell me about it.  Putting together American Airborne and German Grenadiers has been a learning curve.  Although, I will say the Grenadiers, were slightly easier to assemble, and the Plastic German Halftrack was a breeze to put together.  Painting is going to be a challenge, everything I have was for 15mm.  Now I have to buy bigger brushes again  ;D

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 02:51:11 PM »
I will probably be able to make it in with 500 pts of Soviets this weekend to give the game a whirl. I might have a little terrain to bring too so we do not need to fight purely over Imperial Grimdark ruins.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 09:08:44 AM »
And thats fine, I will have a demo set, so you can still try the game anyway.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
For those who either don’t have or are not finished with your 500 force.  Don’t worry about it.  I’m mostly planning this Sunday to be a chance to try the Demo game (I’m providing the figs), and see how the game works.