Login  |  Register

Author Topic: List building  (Read 778 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
Re: List building
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 09:20:42 AM »
Matt, I think what I need is for you to look at the list (#210 Feudal Samurai)  and see how YOU would build an army from it. I want to see what a fresher set of eyes would choose and how you would play it.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 10:21:41 AM »
In my continuing interest in looking at other lists, no not Spartacus much as I would love to, so I have tinkered with a list for the Mycenaens.

I Corps Brilliant General (Included)
Medium Swordsmen, Impact, Armor, Elite x2
Heavy Spearmen x4
Light Chariot x3
Light Infantry Javelin x1

II Corps Competent General (Included)
Heavy Spearmen x4
Light Chariot x3

III Corps Competent General (Included)
Heavy Spearmen x4
Light Chariot, Elite x1
Light Chariot x2

26 units @ 200 points

The two smaller corps I'm thinking of dropping the generals to ordinary. There's the usual, Pikemen, Knights, Cataphracts, Elephants schtick, but I'm thinking that's just a fact of life for any list. 
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »
There is a bad matchup for every list. You cannot cram an adequate hard-counter to every troop type into a single list. And if you find a way you will quickly find you do not have enough to deal with the numbers of that troop type you opponent has if they focus on that type.

Something rubs me the wrong way about this list. I think it might be the list itself. Light chariots are medium cavalry bow with the ability to shoot out the rear facing. I am not sure how I feel about having so many distributed so thinly. Then again, this is very different from any list I have ever fielded so maybe I know nothing of its potential.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:22 PM »
The Mycenaen light chariots don't have bows, so they're just considered Medium Cav.  and can function the same.  I had thought about grouping them all together as a Corps of 8 Light chariots and 1 Elite light chariot, but I'm not sure if that's more ideal than having them providing flank support in each corps.  This way, each Corps has a fast unit of 3 that can quickly threaten flanks or move around to cover their own flanks.  The corps would be arrayed like this:

I Corps:
             LI

HIMIMIHI
            CvCvCv

II Corps:
             LI

HIHIHIHI
             Gen
          CvCvCv

III Corps:
           LI

HIHIHIHI
            Gen
          CvCvCv

Depending on how I would deploy the Army, the I Corps is likely to be a focus with the 2 MI in it (Who wouldn't want to crush Achilles?).  I would try and draw an opponent in to try and engage the I Corps, and use it's three chariots to threaten or charge  and turn a flank.  The Other two Corps can either hold flanks (Using the chariots and LI to screen out further), pile in to support I Corps or  Combine to push across the board and try and break an opponents corps.