Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Bolt Action Winter Offensive; Escalation League  (Read 218 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
Bolt Action Winter Offensive; Escalation League
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:59:31 AM »
Starting Sunday, February 4th, we will be embarking on a multistore escalation league.  This will be held, concurrently, at both the Portal in Manchester, and the BattleStandard in East Windsor.  I will also be getting prize support for this from Warlord for multiple awards. I am finishing the details up now and will have a hand copy of the league rules and scoring for any interested persons to look over this Sunday, as well as a sign up sheet I will be posting in the store.  It is my goal to attract a larger group by running this in two locations.  A few highlights of the event;

This will run for 9 weeks stating in February and ending in April (a tournament will follow, date TBD)
three point levels; 500, 750, 1000.  There will be list requirements for each level.  Each point level will last three weeks.  Games will be recorded along for points towards prizes at the end.  Prizes will also be awarded for modeling skill as well as just winning games.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
Re: Bolt Action Winter Offensive; Escalation League
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:58:10 PM »
*rubbing chin thoughtfully*

Tell me more...

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:39:13 PM »
Come in Sunday and find out  ;D
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 01:55:31 PM »
Well, I was going sit at home trying out how this new sharp stick interacts with my eye, but I guess I will come out and try to learn some more Bolt Action.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:05:59 PM »
 I'll be over at the Battlestandard tomorrow to make sure they get a good start.  I figure Matt, and Sean will be able to keep the people who show up at the Portal on the right path.  Missions for week one are Meeting Engagement, Key Positions, and Demolition played on a 4x4 space.  Don't forget to keep track of points for the total event.

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:55 PM »
I'll be over at the Battlestandard tomorrow to make sure they get a good start.  I figure Matt, and Sean will be able to keep the people who show up at the Portal on the right path.  Missions for week one are Meeting Engagement, Key Positions, and Demolition played on a 4x4 space.  Don't forget to keep track of points for the total event.

Chris, can you post the rules document? I can print it out so there's a copy at the Portal too.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
I emailed a copy to Matt.  It’s too big a file to post on here.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:18:55 PM »
Sean, download the link below. I will leave it up for a few days so anyone else who wants it can grab it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ma3ersuykdpg23/BA%20Winterleague.odt?dl=0

Also, can I assume you will be there to play tomorrow? I expect to only have time for one one game (that whole sport ball thing is kind of relevant to my wife and I - she is from Philly), but would be happy to get a rematch with your file assault rifle toting tottenkophers.

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 11:34:51 PM »
Yes, I will be there to take revenge on the despicable fiends blasting my men with anti tank rounds.

Thanks for the link  ;D

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2018, 04:50:35 PM »
We had a question today on scoring. The rules packet mentions major and minor victories, but we couldn't find where they were defined.

We kept track of killed units and their points values, as well as the scoring for the specific scenario (key positions in this case) so hopefully we can figure out minor/major victory from that info?

Also can you explain how to determine score for the Pass The Ammo Award and how we should be keeping track of it (ie is it scored every game, or at the end of each round, etc?)

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »
Yeah, it is a bit confusing.  Besides the standard victory conditions, like in Key positions, the basic scoring is 1 point for every unit destroyed.  tally up how many of each sides squads were destroyed and compare the results.  A 0-1 point difference is a draw, a 2 point difference is a minor victory or minor loss, a more than 2 point difference is a clear Winner or a clear loss.

So, in my game yesterday,U.S. Airborne vs Italians in Demolition, I won by destroying my opponents base, so scoring is thus;  He destroyed 2 of my squads (Bazooka Team, Light Mortar Team) so he gets two points.  I achieved the objective, and destroyed 5 out of 6 of his units as well. So I had 5 points and a mission win.  ratio is 5-2  I therefore have achieved a clear win.  For the league then, scoring is thus;  I have a Major Win (4 points), no need for a tiebreaker based on destroyed units so thats done.  MVP is decided between players, we didn't have any real outstanding units going rambo across the table so nothing there.  Logistics scoring started yesterday so the only scoring would be for theme, and best painted.  Theme you're only going to get once, painted is by Army every three weeks.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
Thanks Chris.

A few more questions still.

MVP, we decide on a single unit between both of us? The packet made us think it might be each player picking one unit on their side and one on the enemies.

How is theme defined? Are we voting for our own or our opponents' army each game? Or a later vote out of all participants at a later time?

Best painted is a vote for our own, or our opponents' each week? Or a later vote out of all participants at a later time?

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
MVP;  if a particular squad/team performed particularly well, and both players are agreed, then a point for MVP can be awarded to the owning players total.  It is possible that both sides may have an outstanding unit, and can agree for mutual awards.

Theme; Theme is defined by several things.  Is a force based on a particular unit/battle?  Is it winter themed with snowy bases?  Or perhaps themed for urban fighting with bases of stone rubble and streets?  This is awarded only once, most likely near the end to give you time to finish your theme.

Best painted will also be voted on near the end with group voting.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 10:12:32 AM »
I will be at the portal tomorrow for the escalation league.  See you guys there around noon.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 11:06:44 AM »
I will be there as well.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."