Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Snipers - an MMG's nightmare  (Read 89 times)

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
Snipers - an MMG's nightmare
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:17:26 PM »
So in my game with Matt yesterday this question came up about what happens when a sniper hits a weapon squad like an MMG. I knew that guns could be taken out but thought it was only from hits with "heavy weapons" but when looking it up, thats not the case.

So the relevant rules are:
Pg 58: Exceptional Damage
Pg 73: Team Weapon - Support Team Weapons
Pg 91: Sniper
Pg 96: Damage on Artillery Units

Essentially it looks like one kill from a sniper on any non-artillery (so excluding howitzers, mortars, and anti-tank guns) team weapon will kill the whole team. The same for any Exceptional Damage roll, sure but its particularly relevant for Snipers since they always score Exceptional Damage. Plus the whole hit on 3+ unless pinned thing.

The rules basically say the gun itself is destroyed or the remaining crew are spooked and leg it. In our game for instance, the flamethrower's assistant would have also been destroyed when the flame thrower model was. And if I'd hit the MMG even once, and you failed that save, the team would be destroyed.

Food for thought when list building I guess.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:20:27 PM by Mean Saloney »

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
Re: Snipers - an MMG's nightmare
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 01:18:34 PM »
I will have to re-read those sections over tonight. That is terrifying for team-weapons if snipers can do that to them.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
I read through the sniper rules earlier this week, and I think you have interpreted them correctly. If the soldier manning the weapon goes, so goes the rest of the squad. I'm pretty sure that's why a sniper team (at least for the Commandos) costs about the same as an MMG, medium mortar, or medium AT gun. I am seriously considering putting one into my list.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:28:08 PM »
I am seriously considering putting one into my list.

My sniper saved my bacon from being burnt to a crisp by a Soviet flamethrower. So I'm definitely keeping mine in my list.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
I'll give it a try and see how it works. One thing I'm enjoying about Bolt Action is that some units that weren't useful in FoW (like snipers and light mortars) have value.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:14:17 PM »
I'll give it a try and see how it works. One thing I'm enjoying about Bolt Action is that some units that weren't useful in FoW (like snipers and light mortars) have value.

I noticed something interesting with the light mortar. You need to get close enough to take return fire to use it. Sean scared mine off with rifle fire. Even behind cover I lost one man and then took a unit morale check, which they failed. And poof, no more fire support. Definitely keeps me from thinking of it as some sort of a steal, points wise. But a really useful tool, I think.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:25:27 PM »
I had a very similar thought, which is why I've dropped it from my list in favor of a sniper. We'll see if that turns out to be the right choice.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 10:26:44 AM »
I think the mortar still will be useful.  Sniper's will have uses too, but I'm going to take my chances dropping high angle hell on people instead of snipey plinking.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.