Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rules Discussion  (Read 118 times)

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rules Discussion
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:36:57 PM »
After playing with Chris on Sunday I have read the rules again, and I noticed some things that we were doing incorrectly.
  • Indirect Fire weapons, like light mortars, cannot fire directly. They can only use the indirect fire procedure (roll a six the first time, five the next, etc.). Howitzers, on the other hand, can do either direct fire or indirect.
  • Ambushes can only respond to movement orders, not fire orders
  • Units in buildings not only get a cover bonus (-2) when opponents are trying to hit them, but a +1 protection bonus to damage them. So, my Commandos in a building are only destroyed on a six, not a 5+ as usual. I think my guys will be spending a lot of time in buildings!
I'm sure I'll find more things we were doing incorrectly, but I thought I would post these now so we can refine our game as we go.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
Re: Rules Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:18:53 AM »
Yeah I realized all that when I reread the rules later myself.  But, New game, new rules.  We'll get there.  And next time I'll get to the buildings first!
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »
    • Units in buildings not only get a cover bonus (-2) when opponents are trying to hit them, but a +1 protection bonus to damage them. So, my Commandos in a building are only destroyed on a six, not a 5+ as usual. I think my guys will be spending a lot of time in buildings!

Keep in mind that pen values add bonuses to kill roles. So that +5/+6 RPG will still kill your commando on a 2+ (because, you know in a d6 system we need auto-fails 17% of the time).

Michael

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 07:23:12 PM »
    Keep in mind that pen values add bonuses to kill roles. So that +5/+6 RPG will still kill your commando on a 2+ (because, you know in a d6 system we need auto-fails 17% of the time).

True enough. I'll just have my sniper take out the RPGs before they can fire at the guys in the building. :)

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:15:27 PM »
    I've been very tempted to get a heavy howitzer in my 1000pt list. It may be overkill in most situations, but nobody opponent would dare enter a building in it's line of sight. 3D6 hits! 3D6 with 4+ pen, no hard cover modifier or extra protection!! And if it scores 10 hits the building collapses and everyone dies without saves! And even if they do live, they get D6 pins. Plus its a 5 man squad so more survivable than many other gun teams, gets a gun shield, can get a spotter to indirect fire, and the SIG33 gun just looks cool.

I think I'd feel like a cheese master putting it on the table though. If not because it seems WAY overpowered, then because thematically it isn't likely that they rolled up this kinda gun for direct fire support very often.

Michael

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
    You have discovered my evil plan!  ;)

I inherited a Churchill tank from Jon, and the only version of it available to the Commandos is the AVRE. It just happens to have a 290mm mortar (HE 4" in game terms) and can do all of the things you mention above (on a heavy tank chasis, no less). Like you, I will probably feel a tinge of guilt using it. On the other hand, AVREs were specifically designed to support Commandos (the Dieppe raid), so it's historically appropriate.

bigchris

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
    Sean you could go for the 7.5cm Infantry gun.  That's pretty much what it's for.  I'll probably be adding a Pack 75 at 1000 as there were a few single guns that managed to land and be put to use during Normandy.
    Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
    Sean, they did roll up the 15cm SiG in city fighting. There's a reason they used that gun in a number of assualt guns.

Mean Saloney

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:59 PM »
    Sean you could go for the 7.5cm Infantry gun.  That's pretty much what it's for.

Its already shipping :) They even had a Winter version. I'm considering using it even at 500pt in place of my medium mortar. Wasn't a huge fan of the mortar.

Sean, they did roll up the 15cm SiG in city fighting. There's a reason they used that gun in a number of assualt guns.

Interesting. I was also considering making a self propelled version, especially after seeing this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOFnVIFx_-8
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:01:49 PM by Mean Saloney »

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »
    Yea too bad that's an EW weapon. I don't think there were any after 1942. They get replaced by Grilles, StuIG-33s, and Brummbars.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:13:55 PM »

True enough. I'll just have my sniper take out the RPGs before they can fire at the guys in the building. :)

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The power to snipe an RPG or team weapon is insignificant next to the power of failing to hit on a 3+.

Michael

• Administrator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »
    Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The power to snipe an RPG or team weapon is insignificant next to the power of failing to hit on a 3+.

Which, given my luck, will happen quite often.  >:(