Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Escalation League Game Results  (Read 1143 times)

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Escalation League Game Results
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 07:13:36 PM »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  :)
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:17 AM »
The guys at Adler hobby sent me a copy of their scoring sheet for league play.  I thought I would run it by you guys and see what you think of their scoring system.

Win 3 points
Draw 2 points
Loss 1 point
Scenario specific points (units destroyed/objectives taken)  I'm assuming 1 point per.

What do you guys think?
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
That looks fair to me. What do you think, Matt?

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2018, 05:44:37 PM »
Player: Matthew Fullmer
Opponent: Mike Cunningham
Date: 04 Mar 18
Mission: Point Defense
Mission Result: Stalin smiles (Win), All three objectives held or contested
Units destroyed: 4 to 4:
   Mike lost his HQ, his Arty FO, his PIAT and something else that I am forgetting? He said he lost 4 but I cannot recall what that was. His Churchill was defiantly not amongst the ashes. I did not even fire a single shot at it. Although we did game out my panzerfaust shot if I had chosen to stay and blast rather than going for the mission win.
   I lost my free squad to an AVRE 4" blast in the open (they were bunched up). My LMG squad snuffed it to a collapsing building after assaulting the FO. Guess which element in Mike's list could generate 10+ hits on a squad in a building. My MMG had a bad day from the get-go and snuffed it early. My Light Mortar bought in assault on turn 7 as Mike desperately tried to reach a draw. Points killed were probably pretty even since Mike lost none of his really expensive units and my LMG squad adds up to a decent chunk.

Overall Result - Mission win with pretty equal bludgeoning to both sides. Mike feels the scenario is biased in favor of the defender. I am not sure he is wrong. It seems a tough ask to completely take 2 objectives and hold them until the game ends. But I think a key point is that it is not a boolean outcome. The existence of a draw condition may take a lot of sting out for the attacker. From the defender's perspective, it concerns me a little how easy it might be for the attacker to ensure he grabs one objective if he does not really make a bid for the others. Which leaves him (and by extension the defender) with a "do you want to try for the win or accept a likely draw" question. This choice really needs to be made at the start of the game since there is so little time to reposition and redirect the flow of an advance.

MVP votes - I do not think any one unit would earn an MVP nod for my side. Mike's AVRE is an easy choice for him. And I think it might have been man of the match despite being on the losing side. It only connected with two mortar shots (and a couple of desultory MMG hits), but they exterminated an untouched 12-man squad and a 6 or 7 man squad. It also directly impacted almost every activation choice I made in the game.

Logistics - Painting progressed, so another +1?

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:53 AM »
Wow, when I left Mike seemed to be in a decent position.  Now I wish I had stayed for the end.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2018, 03:57:34 PM »
The problem is time. If I had unlimited time to take an objective or two, I probably could have done it. But with only six turns (or seven if lucky) one has to move quickly. I took a cautious approach at the beginning of the game, which, in retrospect, was a mistake. The next time I'm attacking in Point Defense I will send everyone forward at a run for Turn One (and perhaps Turn Two as well).

A few other observations:
  • The British Forces book does include the Preliminary Bombardment rule, just like the main rule book, so I can roll two dice for each defending unit and pick the best result (assuming the bombardment happens in the first place!)
  • Tracked vehicles are able to Advance over obstacles (unless they are of the anti-tank variety) with no penalty, so the walls should not have hindered Matt's T-34. We assumed they were impassible, like buildings.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 07:39:13 PM »
Player: Michael Cunningham
Opponent: Matthew Fullmer
Date: 8 April 2018
Mission: Hold Until Relieved
Result: British victory
Units Destroyed: 11 to 2
The Soviets (Matt) lost everything except the T-34. The British (Mike) lost a sniper and an artillery observer. The key to this game was going to Turn 7. At the end of turn 6 the game was a draw, but the Commandos were in good position in the center of the table.

MVP: For the Commandos, probably the Cromwell. It commanded the center of the table and knocked out a number of units that were contesting the objective. For the Soviets, perhaps the T-34? It was the sole survivor.

Logistics: PIAT team painted and Cromwell assembled, primed, and first few coats of green applied. 

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »
Logistics: PIAT team painted and Cromwell assembled, primed, and first few coats of green applied.

It is...It is....It is green.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 09:07:46 PM »
It is...It is....It is green.

Mr. Scott or Data?

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »
Is Bolt Acion still on the docket for Sunday?

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Is Bolt Acion still on the docket for Sunday?

It is.  Tomorrow concludes the league and next Saturday is the tournament.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 08:04:03 PM »
I hope to be there, but I'm fighting off a cold so I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:13 PM »
Player: Michael C.
Opponent: Scott M.
Date: 15 April 2018
Mission: Key Positions
Result: British victory
Units Destroyed: 3 to 0
The Germans (Scott) lost a half-track, an infantry squad, and their infantry gun. The British (Mike) escaped without loss (due to luck, mostly). The key to this game was the Germans' lack of long-range AT firepower (Scott will be reinstating the Puma in future lists).

MVP: For the Commandos, probably the large infantry squad. It held the center objective and successfully assaulted the German assault squad. For the Germans, it would have been the assault squad, with a bit better luck on the panzerfaust rolls.

Logistics: Bren Carrier purchased and assembled.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2018, 01:14:34 PM »
Chris,
Mike pointed out to me that I have not been updating this thread with game results. Not counting the teaching game against Jen last week, I finished with 8 wins to one loss and no draws. Three games at each level. At the 1000 point level, as I recall, I faced you once and Mike twice, losing to Mike once and beating him the other time. My logistics scores dried up during the 1000 point segment buying only one product and painting only a unit or two (it is hard to keep the painting rate up when the whole army is in shape).

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 09:28:14 AM »
Yeah see, that helps.  So now after recalculating results here's how it goes.

Best Overall: Matt Fullmer
Best Allied General: Mike Cunningham
Best Axis General: Scott McLaughlin
Best Painted: Dillon Sparks
Rookie Award: Jen Roy