Login  |  Register

Author Topic: ADG List building.  (Read 171 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
ADG List building.
« on: June 11, 2018, 08:51:59 AM »
So, I figured any interested list building for feedback, comments and suggestions can be posted here.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

bigchris

• View Profile
Re: ADG List building.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:56:55 AM »
My first try at list #101 Romano-British  475-539 Arthurian  Initiative 3+
Plains Forest, Mountains

I Corps
Brilliant General
Heavy Cavalry Impact Elite x2
Heavy Cavalry x3
Light Cavalry Javelin Mediocre

II Corps
Competent General
Heavy Cavalry Impact Elite x2
Heavy Cavalry x2
Light Cavalry Javelin Mediocre

III Corps
Competent General
Heavy Spearmen x8
Bowmen x2
Light Infantry Javelin x2
Levy Expendable Mediocre (Christian Martyrs)

23 Units (24 but the expendable levys don't count.)
200 Points
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 12:43:25 AM »
That looks like a solid mix of heavy infantry and cavalry. I would recommend some medium spear with your heavies to contest difficult terrain. Also, FYI, this list only has 3+ command points, so you can't have two competent commanders and a brilliant one. You will need to downgrade one of them.

Here's what I came up with for the list:

ARTHURIAN ROMANO-BRITISH
Corps I
Brilliant commander (Arthur)
4x Heavy cavalry impact elite
3x Heavy cavalry
2x Light cavalry javelin mediocre

Corps II
Competent commander (Bedevere)
8x Heavy spearmen
2x Light infantry bow

Corps III
Ordinary commander (Sir Robin)
4x Medium spearmen
2x Light infantry javelin

25 units, 200 points

Arthur and his "knights" can put serious pressure on one of your opponent's flanks while Bedevere and the spearmen hold the center. Sir Robin and his boys find some nice terrain to hide in (ideally near a key point on the battlefield) and generally threaten to pop out and cause trouble (or you can put them in ambush).

This list should do fine against most things, but massed elephants (Classical Indians), cataphracts (Parthians), or shooty cavalry (Mongols) will be difficult. C'est la guerre, however, in this game there are no true power lists.

"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
I like it.  I may go with this instead.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 05:17:58 PM »
Sounds good. You might also experiment with splitting the heavy and medium spear between Corps II and III so that they both can cover small patches of difficult terrain and open ground as well. Matt has had some success with this approach when playing the Byzantines.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:56:54 AM »
Sounds good. You might also experiment with splitting the heavy and medium spear between Corps II and III so that they both can cover small patches of difficult terrain and open ground as well. Matt has had some success with this approach when playing the Byzantines.

As a matter of fact, I did just that.  II and III Corps each have 4 heavy, 2 medium spear, and 2 skirmishers each

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2018, 07:38:43 AM »
That sounds good. I think I would use three competent commanders in that set up, because you'll have three components in Corps II and III (the heavies, the mediums, and the lights). An ordinary commander would probably struggle with that. It shouldn't hurt the cavalry wing to downgrade to competent.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 07:40:47 AM by Michael »

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
I did as you suggested so now the Army looks like this:

ARTHURIAN ROMANO-BRITISH
Corps I
Competent commander (Arthur)
4x Heavy cavalry impact elite
3x Heavy cavalry
2x Light cavalry javelin mediocre

Corps II
Competent commander (Bedevere)
4x Heavy spearmen
2x Medium spearmen
2x Light infantry bow

Corps III
Competent commander (Sir Robin)
4x Heavy spearmen
2x Medium spearmen
2x Light infantry javelin

25 units, 200 points

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2018, 05:34:29 PM »
I like the look of this way better than the dedicated commands. 4x MI Spear is simply unlikely to win a terrain battle against a determined opponent and needs to be in the terrain against almost everything. Splitting them up guarantees you can screen the main lines where it matters.

My book is packed so I cannot check, but can you really take the LH javelin as mediocre? That is pretty cool if you can, although be sure the 2 points are going somewhere worthwhile. LH that are already bad at shooting and are now afraid to fight other LH are pretty weak for 5 points. I am not sure what the 3rd HCav ordinary is adding. He makes it harder to order the full command on a single pip and I would not assume he will add many more flank opportunities that the other two, cleverly employed, will not. You could place him behind one of the other units, but if it is behind one of the other HCav it will just disrupt the group if you want to evade. I am not sure what you can get in the list for those points, but I would think about finding something else. Are you capped at 4 impact horse? More of those might be better than the non-impact.

You could also think about shifting one of the infantry command's MI into the Cav. Your HI spear will usually want to be deployed adjacent to each other and will not often be filling a gap between two pieces of terrain. That means two of the MI will risk being somewhat superfluous in most matchups. With the horse they allow that group to be far less worried about deploying near a terrain feature and can much more safely walk by it. The risk is if the horse go in a very open area and face a big pile of enemy mounted the MI will struggle to stay connected to your line and also struggle to perform well in combats. You also would want to downgrade the infantry leader to ordinary and make the cav guy brilliant to ensure control of both groups.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
The LH javelin can only be taken as mediocre.  The list only allows a total of 8 cavalry (either heavy or medium, the LH is a separate choice)  but up to 4 can be replaced by the elite impact HC (Arthurian period).  I'm not sure there are any really good choices to replace the 3rd HC unit.  Within the timeframe limits of the Arthurian period, I also can add Irish Mercenaries MI, Christian Martyrs Levy Expendable (only 1), swap it out for another spear unit, upgrade a unit leader and possibly take a fortified camp.

I'd prefer not to mix and match the Infantry and Cavalry.  I find the infantry act as an anchor slowing down the cavalry's ability for rapid maneuver.  At the Havoc tournament, everyone I faced had their cavalry in a separate corps to facilitate rapid maneuver and threaten flanks.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
So I am revisiting the Feudal Samurai after not feeling the love for other lists at the moment.  Considering this is where I started y learning curve, I figure it's better to keep learning.  So, with that in mind, I am tweaking the list a little more. 

I Corps, Competent Commander (Included)
4x Heavy Cav Bow
2x Light Cavalry Bow

II Corps, Brilliant Commander
4x Heavy Sword 2HW, Elite
2x Medium Sword/Bow, Elite
2x Medium Sword/Bow

III Corps, Competent Commander
2x Medium Sword 2HW
4X Medium Spear, Mediocre
2x Bowmen

22 Units.

Alternate:  If I drop all the elite upgrades I can add a single Light Cav Bow to both II and III Corps, upping my count to 24 units in the list.

AvogadroTheMole

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
Keep the elites. A single LH is unlikely to move the needle much for either foot corps. The elites will do more to protect you from shooting and are more likely to help you kill in close combat than an LH is.

Consider  shifting an elite or two from the HI over to the HCav. A supported elite cav shooter is really strong against lots of things. And an elite Hcav is a pretty solid match against an ordinary Hcav impact. So standing your ground becomes a little easier against many cav wings. Particularly if the LH can add an overlap or two.