Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Change in Direction?  (Read 650 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
A Change in Direction?
« on: January 26, 2017, 12:03:06 PM »
Hello to all,

We are barely a month into 2017 and there is alot of change going on in the world around us.  The gaming community also continues to change.  At the Portal, it was decided by Jon to discontinue their relationship with Battlefront.  Jon and I discussed this at length and it came down to a simple fact.  The Flames of War Product was not moving as fast as BF wanted.  They suggested to Jon that he replace the TO (me), and gave him a sheet of directions on how to host tournaments that would be more conducive to helping sales.  They have also been shipping him product he didn't order and then charged him for it.  Jon stood up for not just his store, but us as well.  This was not an easy choice for Jon as I think he worried we would leave the store if he stopped carrying BF's products.  I assured him we would stay and remain a presence in the store.

So now the question becomes whats next?  We can still play FoW.  It is an open gaming store, so that's not an issue.  But running events will be harder without available product.  After a few chats with a couple of you guys, I feel that some of you might even feel weird trying to run an event they do not sell product in the store to support.  Now, we can just get product as prize support, Jon has assured me he can still direct order FoW product from other distributors.  But the times, they are a changin.

Now, over the last few years, we have diversified (nice word eh?) our groups gaming interests to avoid burnout from focusing on just one game.  Now this will come in very handy for us as we move forward.  The Portal still has several fine choices that they buy product for.  Warlord games (Bolt Action, Muskets& Tomahawks, Beyond the Gates of Antares, Pikemans Lament), We also have SAGA still in store stock (albeit mostly Crescent and the Cross).  And I'm sure we can see about what Jon and his staff are willing to help us with as we move forward.

Now, this is a list of games we, in small groups or as a whole have also brought to the club

Flames of War
SAGA
Muskets & Tomahawks
A Fistfull of TOW's
Bolt Action
Chain of Command
L'Art de Guerre

Not too shabby,and there is alot out there for us to explore and try, so I say we move forward and open the horizons up!

Possibilties include:
Pikemans Lament
Check your 6 (WW1 Biplanes)
Wooden ships and Iron Men (Using miniatures instead of counters)
Beyond the Gates of Antares (for a sci fi change of pace)
Dropzone Commander
Classic Battletech
Killteam, Warhammer 40K Squad game (if we really want to torture ourselves)
Age of Sigmar (More Warbands)
Guildball

So, there we are.  I'd like to hear from all of you and know what your thoughts are on moving forward.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Zach

• View Profile
Re: A Change in Direction?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »
I wouldn't mind trying some other games. I really don't know much about any of the other one's you guys have been playing though. I also think Jon made the right move and I don't think tournaments will be too bad without having stock around anymore. We can still have prize support ordered in through the store, obviously we couldn't have a discount on the flames of war stuff but we could still potentially have discounts on other stuff maybe.
Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 09:23:47 PM »
Good points Zach.  I will still be running FoW events and tournaments.  I still think it's a good game and we can work out prize support.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
There is also X-Wing, which seems to be quite popular with the general gaming community. I think a few of our guys play it as well.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 07:07:47 PM »
There are, to me, two problems with x-wing.  First, there is no replayability.  It's just a dogfight in an asteroid field over and over again.  Second, cards.  Each ship pack comes with some unique cards that can be used to upgrade the ships.  But to get the cards, you have to buy everything.  Otherwise you quickly fall behind the power curve.  For just casual play it's fun.  But tournaments just suck.  I took part in three and it was just not fun.  Mostly due to the less than social attitude other attendees.  The game has some great possibilities,  but the community isn't interested in more developed games.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:48:54 AM »
Replay-ability can be a major issue and is one of the main reasons I enjoy FoW. Every game is different. I'm sorry to hear about the X-Wing community, that can definitely take the fun out of a game.

I am intrigued by Beyond the Gates of Antares. From the descriptions it looks like Bolt Action in space, but for some reason this seems less of a problem in a scifi game. Has anyone played it? I would be curious to hear your impression of it.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 03:02:42 PM »
I got the starter set from our silent auction to raise money for Phil's hospital bills.  It does use the bolt action rules, but it's definitely something I am going to be tinkering with this year.  It's a Warlord games product, obviously, but there seems to be a growing community for it.  There are several good factions, and as far as I can tell, none are overpowered.  There are very few vehicles, but portable fire support teams are available choices.  I was planning on cracking it open and getting into it starting in May myself.  Phil has shown some interest in this one as well.  I will bring the book with me tomorrow for you to peruse.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:06:00 PM by bigchris »

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 04:43:36 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to reading the rules.

nickaieta

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 11:24:01 AM »
Two thoughts on X-wing -
1. There are interesting, objective-based missions which many players don't seem to use. I'm not sure why, but in certain sets you get specific objective-based stuff and extra tokens to make them work and so forth, yet I don't see that people use it that much.
2. The X-wing list build app (free) available for iPhone and android phone users gives you a nice "end-around" on the cards problem. The app allows you to see all possible add-ons for the ships you have and many players are amenable to you using the app and not owning the cards.

In general, I agree with much of Chris' assessment, but I kind of enjoy the game anyway and the movement phase is cool and fraught with zaniness.

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:39:45 PM »
Will John be getting the free 4th edition books or are we going to have to get those somewhere else?
Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 07:49:14 PM »
Will John be getting the free 4th edition books or are we going to have to get those somewhere else?

As far as I know, Jon is expecting about 4 books.  I'm not sure if he will be able to secure any other copies.