Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Late-War US Armor List in v4  (Read 1422 times)

Zach

• View Profile
Late-War US Armor List in v4
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:39:04 PM »
@Mike: It's the PZ IV/70 A's that are ugly, the V's look badass and are essential like a tiger.

After getting the rules today I think I've gotten a list that I think would work well at 1515 points.
3rd armored RV tanks

HQ: a1 76 and a3(late)
plt 1: 2x a1 76, a3 105, jumbo
plt 2: 2x a1 76, a3(late), jumbo
plt 3: priest battery
limited p-47s with rockets

So I know jumbos in V4 are severly nerfed from their glory in V3 but if I read the rules correctly, I still get a 3+ mistaken target roll as long as the two tanks in question are atleast 8 inches apart. In addition, Scott had mentioned today that the wwpd guys said in an article that jumbos give a modified mistaken target rule but after looking in the rules, we couldn't find it. Never the less adding jumbos wasn't a priority but I think would help. Also I found that detroit's finest doesn't give additional speed to tactical distance so for point crunching I downgraded to the a1 76 instead.

The priests would be used strictly as infantry killing platforms and with the new rule of repeat bombardments requiring re-rolls on saves, I think they are going to be even better in V4.

Finally after briefly looking over the plane rules and working around points, I added the limited air as another potential anti-armor asset and with rockets giving an anti-tank of 6 against top armor(I believe) I think they'll help a lot.

Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Late-War US Armor List in v4
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:51:03 PM »
Unfortunately, rockets are affected by the adjusted artillery template numbers, so they are now AT3 FP 2+. This is decent against infantry, but horrible against tanks. So, I would not recommend planes with rockets or bombs (also affected by the new arty numbers). For pure tanks, though, the US is pretty good at 1515:

Tank Company (9th, CV)
HQ: 2x M4A3 76mm Sherman
Tank Platoon: 3x M4A3 76mm Sherman, 2x M4A3 Sherman
Tank Platoon: 3x M4A3 76mm Sherman, 2x M4A3 Sherman

1515 on the button. That's 12 Shermans, 8 of which have AT 13, all of which have FA 7, Protected Ammo, Detroit's Finest, and Stabilizers. Looks good to me!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:56:34 PM by Michael »
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 11:44:24 PM »
I think you need artillery for the US tanks or any list for that matter.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »
Zach don't take aircraft unless they have cannons, bombs and rockets are only AT 3. Priests are overpriced now too, you're better off with armored mortars now, their FP is 4+ now.
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:32 AM »
I made a 2 formation list last night taking with me the lessons learned from the V4 game I played.

1st Formation- Armored Rifle Company C/V

HQ- 25 points
1st platoon- full arp 295
2nd platoon- full arp 295
Total= 615 points

2nd Formation- Tank Destroyer Company C/V
HQ- 2x M20 scout cars- 80 points
1st Platoon- 4 Hellcats- 410 points
Free scout platoon- 2 M20 scout cars, .50 cal jeep
2nd Platoon- 4 Hellcats- 410 points
2nd free scout platoon- 2 M20 scout cars, .50 cal jeep
Total= 900 points

This list is extremely maneuverable with its vet rating it will pass movement orders most of the time. It's durable even with FA 2 Hellcats all you need is 1 formation in good spirits and the ARP will take a massive beating now before it even checks. Sure it doesn't have smoke but to be honest smoke isn't all that effective anymore (enemy team can just Blitz out of it) but I do wish I could squeeze in an armored mortar Platoon but at 1515 you can't have everything. The most effective thing killing KTs and JTs now is maneuvering
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:55:41 AM »
So without a plane I added more to the tank platoons

3rd armored

HQ: a1 76, a3(late)
plt 1: 2x a3(late), 3x a3 76 uparmored (this is 610 points so would most likely be the platoon in reserves)
plt 2: a3 105, a3(late), a3(late)uparmored, 2x a1 76
plt 3: 3x a3 105

105s can be arty and direct fire support. With this configuration I get more tanks on the defence and I'll always have 3 76 platforms at the least
Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
I don't think the 2iC is all that important in V4 now, I think he now has to be attached to a platoon. Unless when the 1iC gets killed he can jump to him within 6".

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »
I think a 2ic is still important since it essential protects the abilities of the 1ic. Also the 2ic is part of the hq unit and is essentially a platoon with the 1ic.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 09:28:43 PM »
I agree with Zach about the extra HQ tank. In addition to providing backup for the formation commander, it gives the unit more resilience, which is important now that it gives up a victory point if you lose it.

I also think you may have misinterpreted Phillip's comment about artillery, Joey. In v3 arty was in tank companies to provide smoke. Now it will be in formations to dig out veteran infantry. Since all artillery, including mortars and nebs, have the old "mike target" rule on repeat bombardments, plus better firepower, they are well worth their points. Three armored mortars are now just as good, if not better, at digging out infantry than 105s used to be.

So, I would suggest trying armored mortars, Zach. I think you'll find them extremely useful.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 10:11:59 PM »
Well the game I played the 105s did not kill infantry as effectively as everyone thinks they're going to, we hit a conscript volks unit multiple times in our game and only killed one stand. They still roll a 3+ save and the better FP helps but isn't automatic for even 105s. I think heavy arty is overpriced in V4 the most I'll be taking is mortars.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 10:31:57 AM »
Since I am standing by my Tommies, I'm looking to my 6 pdrs, Comet, Cromwell, and Churchill Tanks, and PIAT's to keep me in the game.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
So since staff teams and command teams are going away in V4, can all artillery units now repeat bombardment even if they didn't have a staff team in V3? The only reason I wanted to use priests was because I thought since they had a staff team in V3, they could repeat a bombardment whereas the Sherman assault gun platoon couldn't. If this is true I don't think I'll ever use priests over Sherman 105s in an armored list as Shermans are cheaper and are much more resilient in direct confrontation.

The reason I want a 105 battery in my army isn't necessarily because I think arty has become a lot better, but because I liked it in V3 and now it just got a bit better with re-roll saves on repeat bombardment, not having to aim on particular team, and better FP. Plus I really liked the Sherman 105 platoon as a direct fire infantry killer. Obviously with the new breakthrough gun rule that got nerfed but with the culmination of new arty, I think it'll go nicely with 12 veteran shermans.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
Any US arty Platoon can use ToT if it has a staff team in its diagram it's just not placed on the table in V4.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 07:45:47 PM »
So since staff teams and command teams are going away in V4, can all artillery units now repeat bombardment even if they didn't have a staff team in V3?

Indeed they can. Even your Sherman 105s can repeat bombard and force the opponent to re-roll successful saves. I think mortars, infantry guns, and other cheap arty is now the way to go. I probably won't be spending points on anything bigger than that.

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
Well with that in mind I've made a list out of 7th armored

HQ: jumbo, a3 76
Plt 1: jumbo, 2x a3 76, E8, a3(late)
Plt 2: jumbo, 2x a3 76, E8, a3 105
Plt 3: 3x mortar tracks (1 with 50 cal)
Plt 4: 3x a3 105s

I put  jumbos in the list since I had an excess of points, but mainly for the HQ unit because since it doesn't have to take a last stand test, I can be fairly confident that it wouldn't be destroyed. This helps for formation morale since if the HQ unit doesn't get destroyed, every other platoon has to be destroyed in order to cause formation morale which is just an instant failure from what I read. I could use a veteran recon platoon instead of the mortars but I think a second template is more useful than one spearhead move. Two templates and multiple 76 platforms gives me confidence that I could overcome being trained.