Login  |  Register

Author Topic: v4 Tournament Meta  (Read 255 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
v4 Tournament Meta
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
I'm already having headaches about how I want to run tournaments going forward.  The Mission generator is an option, but I think that will become a self fulfilling ideal with the Meta if it used for every tournament.  No-one would take infantry because, as you stated, a tank company would just choose hasty attack every time.  Gamey as that would be, people would still do it, it would make for a very boring tournament.  But I think thats what BF is aiming for.  Just looking at pics from the events at Adepticon, it looks like a friggin tank park on the table.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: v4 Tournament Meta
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:55:39 PM »
Indeed, I think that is Battlefront's intention. They have outright admitted that they need to sell more tanks to survive, and the missions in v4 definitely penalize infantry. The way to combat that would be to use the dice-off method and always have at least one deep reserves mission in every tournament. That way infantry has a chance to attack and may actually have an advantage if all the defender's platoons are tanks with armor 3 and above.

If there is a chance that I'll be defending in a deep reserves mission, then I would probably drop a panzer platoon for some armored panzergrenadiers and nebelwerfers.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 09:43:26 PM »
I played No Retreat with my panzerkompanie today and deep reserves F'd my day up bad, I literally had 2 8rads on the table for deployment (Pz4s in ambush) and my friends sturmoviks shot me up almost everything turn.
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 10:08:29 PM »
That sounds about right. I think deep reserves are the only thing that will make infantry companies viable in a tournament setting (for informal games with no time limit they should be fine).

So, Chris, if your intention is to maintain a balance in our tournaments, then I would suggest the "secret ballot" method of determining attacker, combined with at least one, if not two, missions with deep reserves. That will force the tankers to include some infantry, tank destroyers, or other low armor units. Another option is one deep reserves mission and Rearguard. That is the lone v4 mission that rewards the defender for holding objectives.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
Yeah I have to admit, as a TO, I am not really liking how the missions are laid out.  V3 gave a lot of variety and had the scenarios organized in a more gamer friendly manner.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 05:17:01 PM »
Deep reserves kills tank forces way too hard though(except in EW where it barely matters). You can't even have your HQ on board at the beginning.

V2 Mobile reserves was too harsh which is why it was altered in V3. I just really don't understand the change on this in V4 to make it even harsher.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
Considering their statement on pushing more tanks for v4 to keep the company going, the deep reserves rule does seem counterproductive.  Unless it is the proverbially fig leaf to cover themselves with those of us who insist on playing infantry and may feel we are getting the green weenie from the v4 rules.