Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Afrika Korps  (Read 431 times)

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Afrika Korps
« on: April 08, 2017, 09:29:49 AM »
I got my Afrika Corps book in the mail yesterday, and after reading it I think v4 really starts here. The late war and early war rules are more hybrids, which don't quite align with the true spirit of the new game. Here is my quick synopsis of the book:

The Good:
  • More variability in characteristics like remounting and Unit Last Stand. The Germans, for example, have an almost universal Last Stand of 3+, even though they are mostly rated as Confident.
  • More variability in unit statistics like range, movement, and terrain mobility. The long 5cm gun, for example,
     has a range of 28", which is not a distance we've seen before.
  • Tigers! These beasts are going to be awesome in v4
The Bad:
  • Less variability in lists. There are really very few to choose from: Pz III or Pz IV or infantry,
     that's it.
  • No armored Panzergrenadiers
  • No mixing of Pz III and Pz IV in a unit (you can mix Pz III models, however).
The Ugly:
  • Recon. Most of the options are Reluctant Vets with two-team units. I just don't see them being useful
  • Infantry. Six-team units without half-tracks are going to be extremely fragile.
  • The Allies. Unless the 17 pounder is better than in v3, I don't see how they are going to deal with Tigers.
On the whole, I think it's going to be a very mobile, tank focused game. This suits my style, so I'm looking forward to it. Infantry players may be less excited, however.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:32:57 AM by Michael »
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
Re: Afrika Korps
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 11:32:05 AM »
Good look through, I have only few observations.  MW V4 is more together as they only had two books to rewrite.  So the switch was easier.  LW/EW have alot more books and converting them would be a ton of work right now. That said, the LW/EW really are only hybrids because the players have to do the conversions themselves.  I did that , with my LW British, last week and the new stats are completely in line with MW layout.  If they had done all three time frames at once this wouldn't be an issue.  LW/EW is going to be a headache for awhile as players go through the pains of converting the lists to the new format.  Greg's Forces of War doesn't completely do this yet, so players still have to make some changes themselves.  Tournaments are really going to be a challenge for awhile until people get on the same page.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
No armored PzGrens in 1942-3 N. Africa is correct historically.

17lbers are worse in V4. Now they are AT 12! :o

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the historical tidbit, Phillip.

My list is going to be very simple:

PANZER REGIMENT 8
HQ: 2x Pz III (5cm long)
Tank Platoon: 3x Pz III (5cm long), 1x Pz III (7.5cm)
Tank Platoon: 4x Pz III (5cm long)
Heavy Tank Platoon: 1x Tiger (8.8cm)

100 points on the button. For reserve missions I can put the Tiger and a tank platoon on the table. Defending with Deep Reserves, however, is going to be difficult!

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 05:52:45 PM »
Something everyone is completely ignoring is the command cards that give you the option to field a lot of things omitted from the 2 core books. There is even new mission cards that give you extra victory points if completed during a game. You can pay for special equipment or abilities like "sticky bombs". The point is these 1st releases are a small piece of the big picture BF has planned out for just MW, they're gonna bring everything together eventually they just can't do it all at the same time. Yes at the moment it does look like armor is the focus now but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2nd wave of Brit/German books compliment the armor lists.
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 08:04:32 PM »
I hope that you are right about that, Joey. It would be good to keep some level of combined arms in the game.