Login  |  Register

Author Topic: List for Historicon  (Read 1105 times)

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
List for Historicon
« on: April 11, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »
So, Historicon is going to be very different this year - a one-day tournament of four rounds, red-on-blue for the first three, Swiss for the last. To fit it all in they dropped the points level down to 75, so they can run two-hour rounds. This has completely messed up my plan to use a Pz III company, because I don't see how that will work in 75 points. Here are a few options for infantry:

AFRICA RIFLE COMPANY (Option 1)
HQ: 2x SMG teams
Rifle Platoon: 4x MG teams, 1x ATR team, 1x HMG team
Tank-hunter Platoon: 3x PaK38
Tank-hunter Platoon: 4x Marder
Panzer III Platoon: 2x Pz III L, 2x Pz III N

AFRICA RIFLE COMPANY (Option 2)
Heavy Tank Platoon: 1x Tiger

AFRICA RIFLE COMPANY (Option 3)
Heavy Tank Platoon: 1x Tiger
Observer: Panzer II OP
Artillery Battery: 4x 10.5cm howitzers

Option 1 has the most firepower and mobility, and should be able to deal with a Tiger, if necessary, but dug in veteran infantry could be a problem to dislodge. Option 2 doesn't have as much firepower, but the Tiger will be a major problem for the Brits and I can use it to rampage infantry if time is running out. Option 3 deals best with dug in infantry, but sacrifices direct firepower to do so, and if I face another Tiger in round four, it will be a very interesting game of cat and mouse.

What do you think?
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

bigchris

• View Profile
Re: List for Historicon
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 12:22:45 PM »
There's no option for mortars?
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Karl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 02:10:04 PM »
The inf platoon can add 1 8cm motar for 2 points.
Not sure why u can't get a motar platoon.

I do like option 2. The tiger will help to keep your opponents attention. It can go up against most enemy platoons.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 06:59:02 PM »
There's no option for mortars?

No mortars, no nebelwerfers, no infantry guns - only 10.5s and Lorraine Schleppers, which makes it very difficult to fit artillery into the list. I figured out a way to do tanks, though:

8 PANZER REGIMENT
HQ: 2x Pz III (long 5cm)
Tank Platoon: 3x Pz III (long 5cm)
Tank Platoon: 3x Pz III (7.5cm)

It has a lot of firepower and mobility, but it's very small and I wonder how well it will hold up. I will have to try the different lists and see which works best. Of course, that means I'll actually have to assemble and paint some minis! >:(

Zach

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 06:46:50 PM »
How about this

HQ: 2x Pz 3(short)
Plt 1: 4x Pz 3(short)
Plt2: 4x Pz 3(short)
Plt 3: 4x Pz 2
Plt 4: 4x marder

This has 6 more hulls on the table which could fix your anti-infantry problem without having to get arty. The shorts, although won't be very effective against grants, will do just fine against crusaders and stuarts. The Pz 2s are strictly an anti-infantry weapon that has the added bonus of a spearhead if I remember correctly. And marders can challenge grants and a potential tiger from short range, but then again at 75 points I would be surprised if you see one.
Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 11:33:55 PM »
could the Pz2s be replaced by some 105s?

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 11:47:42 PM »
Yes, you could have two 10.5s instead of the PzIIs. No observer, though - one point short. I'm not entirely sold on the PzIII with the short 5cm gun, though. AT 7 just doesn't seem worthwhile in MW.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »
PzIII shorts are AT 8 in v4 though. To me it's the long barreled PzIII that might not be worth it. You can get almost 3 PzIII shorts for the cost of 2 pzIII longs. The extra 4" range is pointless. I feel like if it's worth it to upgrade the PzIII its worth going for either the uparmored PzIII or the 7.5cm.

Bizarrely, the PzIII long barreled is the better tank to get in there and mix it up at close range, while the 7.5cm is the best long range tank(other than the tiger).

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:22:29 AM by winterwolf8601 »

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
PzIII shorts are AT 8 in v4 though.

Right you are! I was confusing the PzIII (short) with the PzIV (short), which is AT 7. And, I miscalculated the points on Zach's list. So, I can do this:

PANZER REGIMENT 8
HQ: 2x PzIII (short)
Tank Platoon: 4x PzIII (short)
Tank Platoon: 4x PzIII (short)
Tank-Hunter Platoon: 4x Marder
Observer: PzII OP
Artillery Battery: 2x 10.5cm howitzers

That seems like a winner to me. :)

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 03:36:05 PM »
Yeah. I like it alot. How are they determining missions? Are they all predetermined as in V3? or using the V4 bidding system?

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 03:43:39 PM »
The other idea which occurred to me was to try to include some PzIV shorts in the list as they can bombard too. They are almost immune to Arty, and can just sit out of range of the AT guns and bombard them.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
That's an excellent idea, Phillip. Here's how the the list would work:

PANZER REGIMENT 8
HQ: 2x PzIII (uparmored)
Tank Platoon: 5x PzIII (short)
Tank Platoon: 3x PzIV (short)
Tank-Hunter Platoon: 4x Marder

It still has ten tanks and four Marders, but it's completely mobile and less vulnerable to artillery. Plus, it's actually pretty good on defense in Deep Reserves missions; I can have the big tank platoon and the Marders on the table (Marders in ambush, of course). I lose a little bit of AT with the Pz IV shorts, but gain some with the uparmored PzIIIs in the HQ, and have a three-gun FP 4+ bombardment. That should work nicely against guns and infantry.

I think this one is definitely a winner! :)

PS. I think they are doing the missions randomly, just as before. And they implied that the annihilation mission could be one of them. :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 06:34:03 PM by Michael »

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »
sigh... that's terrible. at least at 75 points someone can only field like what 45 stuarts? Play annihilation and you have to kill em all...

List looks quite good though.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »
Nice Mike, I personally assembled my Afrika Korps box set over the weekend and came very close to what you decided on with your final list. I think the Pz 4s with the short 7.5cm is a good platoon for smoke and anti infantry duties. The other arty options just don't entice me enough to buy them for what they're going to do. I also think the Marders will kill more in points than a Tiger.  Looking good.
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 11:00:58 PM »
Thanks, Joey. I have to give most of the credit to Zach and Phillip for this one, but I'll play it nonetheless!