Login  |  Register

Author Topic: List for Historicon  (Read 1060 times)

Antholin

• View Profile
Re: List for Historicon
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 01:22:29 AM »
That's a good looking list Mike, very versatile and should be able to handle threats of the current meta.  I was building out a similar list over the weekend. I love the short barreled Pz IV, and have had great success with them in previous MW lists. I really like the ability of direct fire smoke, and with the new artillery ratings, the short barreled Pz IV has only improved. I've been trying to build out a list to include a full platoon of the Pz IV's, just for staying power, but the 75 points is challenging to build around. All in all, I'm excited to field an Afrika Korps force in V4.

-Jeff

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
Short barrelled PzIVs haven't "just improved". The drop to AT 7 is a huge loss. They became specialized though by getting better at bombardment.

Antholin

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
Unfortunately the drop to AT 7 does sucketh, but the artillery aspect of the tank appeals to me more in V4. And AT 7 is still more than a match for British Crusaders and Honey Stuarts. Against heavier armor, they'll have some problems. However, the Pz IV short in the current setting is relegated to its more histoical role of support and not tank v tank. In any event, I'm looking forward to fielding them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 10:22:14 PM by Antholin »

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 11:21:06 PM »
I have to admit the main reason I put them in the list was because I'll be getting three with the DAK box. But I do think they will synergize well with the PzIII units. I will be curious to see, too, how the Marders will work. Blitz, shoot, and scoot may be a very nice tactic, provided the dice are in my favor. :)
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 01:59:07 PM »
The other thought that occurred to me is the possibility of bumping the PzIVs up to 4 tanks.

2x PzIII 5cm (short)
5x PzIII 5cm (short)
4x PzIV 7.5cm (short)
4x Marders

A tiny bit of AT is lost, but the PzIVs are now much more resilient, and much better at smoking opposing tanks in support of the Marders.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 02:58:54 PM »
That looks good, too, Phillip. Sadly, however, my mid-war stuff has not yet arrived, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to play in the tournament.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
Oh no :(

Other tweak that occurred to me was to switch the uparmored PzIIIs into the platoon rather than the HQ as then their FA6 can be used to help slough off 2lbr shots from the inevitable crusader/stuart hordes. This would also help with reserves as then the PzIII platoon would be 31pts and thus could be your only reserve unit in missions with normal reserves. It'd also help in deep reserve missions too as you'd have them and the marders to start with, so a few more points on table.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2017, 06:53:47 PM »
Mike,

Who'd you order from? I just ordered from warstore and my things are enroute.

If your stuff doesn't come in time, and if I can't go, you could always use mine.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 10:01:12 PM »
Hmm... that's who I ordered from and I didn't get my DAK box. What did you order? Perhaps I'll have to do things a la carte.

PS. I see the trouble, it's the DAK box that's out of stock. I've ordered everything separately, which should do the trick.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:28:10 PM by Michael »

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »
PS. I see the trouble, it's the DAK box that's out of stock. I've ordered everything separately, which should do the trick.

Not surprised. The DAK box seems very popular
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

winterwolf8601

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2017, 02:26:57 PM »
I don't really understand why. It's not that great of a value. I guess you get the rulebook for free, and get two 88s instead of getting the full 5 PzIVs. 88s are kinda pointless anyhow(being expensive,immobile and having a 4+ save), so you lose 2 useful models for 2 not useful ones and get a free rulebook.

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2017, 06:28:17 PM »
I ordered everything separately, and it was just shipped today. So, I should be all set. Now I have to cancel my order for the DAK box...