Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Desert Rats v4  (Read 262 times)

bigchris

• View Profile
Desert Rats v4
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »
Having looked through the book, I am somewhat of mixed feelings on the Rats.  While the Afrika box is more flexible.  BF has seemingly gone with the hotdog and bun approach.  The boxes give you only 3 Crusaders and 5 Grants.  Great of you want to do Grants, but lousy if you want a start to build Crusaders.  The 3 vehicle platoons are also going to be killer.  Any Desert Rats list will be bleeding points through a whole game.  I have several lists I have been working on, but it's been a chore to say the least.

List 1; Grant Armoured Squadron
Core Choices
Squadron HQ: 3x Grants
3x Troops; 3x Grants each

Support Choices
Crusader II & III Troop
1x Crusader II (2 pdr)
2x Crusader III (6 pdr)

Crusader II & III Troop
1x Crusader II (2 pdr)
2x Crusader III (6 pdr)

Universal Carrier Patrol
3x Universal Carriers (upgraded with Boys AT Rifles)

Hurricane Tank Busting Flight
2x Hurricane IID

Total is 98 points.

Pro's:  Only need to of the Desert Rats Army starters and two Grant sprues for the core force
Con's:  Somewhat basic and straightforward.

List 2; Crusader Armoured Squadron
Core Units
Formation 1
Squadron HQ;
2x Crusader II (2 pdr)
2x Crusader CS (3 inch)

5x Crusader II & III Troop
   1x Crusader II (2 pdr)
   2x Crusader III (6 pdr)

Formation 2
Squadron HQ;
2x Crusader II (2 pdr)
2x Crusader CS (3 inch)

5x Crusader II & III Troop
   1x Crusader II (2 pdr)
   2x Crusader III (6 pdr)

Support Units

Humber Armoured Car Troop;
3x Humber

Humber Armoured Car Troop;
3x Humber

Hurricane Tank Busting Flight
2x Hurricane IID

Comes to 99 points

Pro's: 2 Core formations, can cover alot of ground
Con's: A stinkload of tanks to build (have to buy 4 boxes of Crusaders!), and will be bleeding points the whole time. 
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

Zach

• View Profile
Re: Desert Rats v4
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »
I think your first list would suit you better as it has more staying power with the grants being hit on 4s. The crusaders can be a good flanking force with the carriers giving a spear head if they're scouts and the planes can cover them. Grants can pretty much do everything else bar killing infantry quickly. The second list would be a lot more fun I think but could easily go to shit if not played correctly.
Well, it's like this. I was on a hill as a battery commander with six anti-tank guns and the Americans kept sending tanks down this road. Every time they sent a tank, we knocked it out. Finally, we ran out of ammunition and the Americans didn't run out of tanks. And that's it in a nutshell.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
Yeah, that seems to be the the glaring problem with it right now.  Crusaders or Honey Stuarts would be more fun, but I would be throwing out vp's all over the place.  And lists for both can become essentially tank hordes, which I'd just rather do soviets for.
Look! We're not worried about the German army, we've got enough troubles of our own. To the right General Patton, to the left the British Army, to the rear our own goddamn artillery, and besides all that it's raining.

JoeLaderoute

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »
I'm so glad I decided to play Germans for V4, I'd hate to assemble and paint $200 worth of crusaders. They look like fun to play but I just couldn't handle the hobby part. At least with the Afrika Korp starter box I have good core for a 100 point list.
To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three Tigers.

bigchris

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »
Tell me about it.  Building a British force is going to be a bit of a pain.