Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Question on Assaults in V4  (Read 296 times)

JenkkiMike

• View Profile
Question on Assaults in V4
« on: April 24, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
I do not have my rules in front of me at the moment so bear with me. My friend and I had a rules interpretation issue when it comes to a specific situation for assaults in V4.

He assaulted my platoon of Panzergrenadiers armed with panzerfausts with a platoon of 5 Stuart tanks. During my defensive fire, I scored 3 hits which resulted in 2 killed and 1 bailed out tank. The rules say that an assaulting unit that takes 5 hits fails its assault and immediately falls back. Then it goes on to say that armored units with top armor 1 or 2 fall back if a certain number (2 or 3?) tanks are knocked out or bailed out during defensive fire, regardless of how many hits they take.

Like many things in the V4 rulebook, it is not 100% clear whether that means that a tank platoon has to take 5 hits AND have 2-3 knocked out tanks before it will fall back OR if it means to just ignore the number of "hits" they take and decide whether they must fall back or not based solely on the number of tanks that were killed or bailed.

We ended up just letting him continue the assault since we both wanted to see how the whole process played out since it was a learning game but I think he should have fallen back after I knocked out the 3 tanks with defensive fire. How do you guys interpret it?

Second question: Do tank platoons get defensive fire against infantry that assaults from their rear and outside of their line of sight? If yes, do they just get to use their coax MGs and not their hull mgs?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:20:44 AM by JenkkiMike »

Michael

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question on Assaults in V4
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 08:41:56 PM »
The assault should not have continued, and the surviving tanks should have moved back 2" from the enemy. For top armor 1 or 2 tanks, the total number of hits is unimportant. But if two or more are bailed or destroyed, then the assault does not continue.

If infantry assaulting tanks are solely in their rear arc, then only turret mounted co-ax MGs or AA MGs can be used for defensive fire. Hull MGs can only be used if there is a target in the front arc.
"A leader leads by example, not by force."

JenkkiMike

• View Profile
Re: Question on Assaults in V4
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 10:14:10 PM »
Thank you. You have confirmed everything that we thought was correct but weren't sure on.